New head of Spanish federation upset over World Cup trip

first_imgVolcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding LATEST STORIES Jury of 7 men, 5 women selected for Weinstein rape trial China population now over 1.4 billion as birthrate falls Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours Lacson: Calamity fund cut; where did P4 billion go? Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Spanish media said delegation members were expected to receive 100,000 euros ($120,000) each in case Spain wins the World Cup in Russia.Rubiales last month took over a federation which was in the hands of embattled official Angel Maria Villar for nearly three decades.A former head of Spain’s players’ association, Rubiales was elected president over Juan Luis Larrea, the federation’s former treasurer and its interim leader since Villar — a former FIFA and UEFA vice president — was suspended following his arrest last year on suspicion of improper management, misappropriation of funds, corruption and falsifying documents.Rubiales said he believed Larrea approved the trip, but the former official told Spanish media he had nothing to do with it.Rubiales had promised to learn from past mistakes and improve the federation while maintaining transparency.ADVERTISEMENT Winfrey details her decision to withdraw from Simmons film Dave Chappelle donates P1 million to Taal relief operations “I’m very upset,” Rubiales said. “This is going to affect the negotiations of the (World Cup) prize. If it was a trip of three days instead of an eight-day vacation, then we would have a bigger margin that could return to the players.”Rubiales said the trip cannot be canceled and the money cannot be reimbursed.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownThose invited for the trip reportedly will stay in luxury hotels and have translators and transportation available to them while in Russia. They will go to St. Petersburg, Kazan and Kaliningrad. Spain will play group matches in Kazan and Kaliningrad but not in St. Petersburg.“The federation is not here for something like this,” Rubiales said. “This is not going to happen again in the future.” Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina MOST READ Spain’s Odriozola, center left, celebrates scoring his side’s opening goal with his teammates against Switzerland’s during the friendly soccer match between Spain and Switzerland at the Ceramica stadium in Villarreal, Spain, Sunday, June 3, 2018. (AP Photo/Alberto Saiz)MADRID — The new president of the Spanish soccer federation has attacked the past administration for paying about $2 million to take more than 150 people to Russia during the World Cup, saying the expense could even affect the prize money for the players.Luis Rubiales said he found out the federation gave an eight-day trip to local officials and sponsors.ADVERTISEMENT Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next View comments Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Next stop San Francisco as ‘longest swim’ embarks from Tokyo Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. last_img read more

Read More

MARIA FIRED UP FOR HER FIRST SOLO EXHIBITION

first_imgCERAMICIST Maria Connolly has forged a new path in her work with her first solo exhibition which opens this Saturday.Inspired by her rural industrialised surroundings, the Manorcunningham-based designer has spent the last nine months crafting her striking pieces which will be shown at the Geraldine Harrigan Gallery, Port Road, Letterkenny for two weeks. Maria’s handmade work has previously been available for sale at the Kilkenny Design Centre but after taking time out to raise her two sons, she has now re-emerged, re-energised and inspired. Speaking about her exhibition “Pathways”, she said: “I’ve sourced my ideas from the natural environment. I wanted to incorporate the forms and attachments of everyday clearly identifiable functional items like kettles, bottles, vessels and tea-pots but not be constrained by them.“It’s been a joy for me and I’ve spent the last nine months rediscovering my path.”Living in the flight path of geese, the path of the Swilly, the landscape has played a huge part in Maria’s work.She told how she tried different techniques to create her pieces using mono-printing and sgraffito and is now really excited to see her new work on show. It is a new direction for the designer who used to be based at her ceramics shop at Church Lane in Letterkenny.“Some people might remember it. It was called Hidden Earth but it closed in 2001 after five years.”Maria also hopes to take her work to Potfest – a huge UK ceramics festival for potters to market their work.She said: “I want to take the exhibition to Potfest. I am also really excited about seeing the pieces in environment of the gallery. I hope people come along and enjoy it.”Pathways opens this Saturday, May 25th and runs until June 8 – gallery 4, 4 Port Road, Lettekenny Tel 074 9125312. MARIA FIRED UP FOR HER FIRST SOLO EXHIBITION was last modified: May 21st, 2013 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:ceramics exhibitionletterkennymanorcunninghamMARIA FIRED UP FOR HER FIRST SOLO EXHIBITIONlast_img read more

Read More

Never Mind. NASA Says Ban on Chinese Students Was a Misunderstanding

first_imgIt was all just a misunderstanding.That’s NASA’s explanation for a decision to bar six Chinese nationals from attending a conference to be held at NASA’s Ames Research Center in California. The agency has now reversed that decision. And it says a ban that agency chief Charles Bolden imposed in March on citizens from China and seven other countries from attending events at NASA facilities is no longer in place—and hasn’t been since this past July.Earlier this month, officials at NASA Ames informed the six individuals—all graduate students at U.S. universities—that they could not register for the conference from 4 to 8 November to discuss scientific findings from the Kepler mission because of language that Representative Frank Wolf (R-VA) put in a 2011 appropriation bill. The decision sparked an outcry from conference participants, some of who threatened to boycott the event. It also prompted Wolf to send a scathing letter to Bolden pointing out that his legislation could not have been the basis for NASA’s decision. Among other things, the legislation prohibits NASA from hosting representatives of the Chinese government at any of the agency’s facilities; however, it does not place any blanket restriction on Chinese citizens entering NASA centers.Sign up for our daily newsletterGet more great content like this delivered right to you!Country *AfghanistanAland IslandsAlbaniaAlgeriaAndorraAngolaAnguillaAntarcticaAntigua and BarbudaArgentinaArmeniaArubaAustraliaAustriaAzerbaijanBahamasBahrainBangladeshBarbadosBelarusBelgiumBelizeBeninBermudaBhutanBolivia, Plurinational State ofBonaire, Sint Eustatius and SabaBosnia and HerzegovinaBotswanaBouvet IslandBrazilBritish Indian Ocean TerritoryBrunei DarussalamBulgariaBurkina FasoBurundiCambodiaCameroonCanadaCape VerdeCayman IslandsCentral African RepublicChadChileChinaChristmas IslandCocos (Keeling) IslandsColombiaComorosCongoCongo, The Democratic Republic of theCook IslandsCosta RicaCote D’IvoireCroatiaCubaCuraçaoCyprusCzech RepublicDenmarkDjiboutiDominicaDominican RepublicEcuadorEgyptEl SalvadorEquatorial GuineaEritreaEstoniaEthiopiaFalkland Islands (Malvinas)Faroe IslandsFijiFinlandFranceFrench GuianaFrench PolynesiaFrench Southern TerritoriesGabonGambiaGeorgiaGermanyGhanaGibraltarGreeceGreenlandGrenadaGuadeloupeGuatemalaGuernseyGuineaGuinea-BissauGuyanaHaitiHeard Island and Mcdonald IslandsHoly See (Vatican City State)HondurasHong KongHungaryIcelandIndiaIndonesiaIran, Islamic Republic ofIraqIrelandIsle of ManIsraelItalyJamaicaJapanJerseyJordanKazakhstanKenyaKiribatiKorea, Democratic People’s Republic ofKorea, Republic ofKuwaitKyrgyzstanLao People’s Democratic RepublicLatviaLebanonLesothoLiberiaLibyan Arab JamahiriyaLiechtensteinLithuaniaLuxembourgMacaoMacedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic ofMadagascarMalawiMalaysiaMaldivesMaliMaltaMartiniqueMauritaniaMauritiusMayotteMexicoMoldova, Republic ofMonacoMongoliaMontenegroMontserratMoroccoMozambiqueMyanmarNamibiaNauruNepalNetherlandsNew CaledoniaNew ZealandNicaraguaNigerNigeriaNiueNorfolk IslandNorwayOmanPakistanPalestinianPanamaPapua New GuineaParaguayPeruPhilippinesPitcairnPolandPortugalQatarReunionRomaniaRussian FederationRWANDASaint Barthélemy Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da CunhaSaint Kitts and NevisSaint LuciaSaint Martin (French part)Saint Pierre and MiquelonSaint Vincent and the GrenadinesSamoaSan MarinoSao Tome and PrincipeSaudi ArabiaSenegalSerbiaSeychellesSierra LeoneSingaporeSint Maarten (Dutch part)SlovakiaSloveniaSolomon IslandsSomaliaSouth AfricaSouth Georgia and the South Sandwich IslandsSouth SudanSpainSri LankaSudanSurinameSvalbard and Jan MayenSwazilandSwedenSwitzerlandSyrian Arab RepublicTaiwanTajikistanTanzania, United Republic ofThailandTimor-LesteTogoTokelauTongaTrinidad and TobagoTunisiaTurkeyTurkmenistanTurks and Caicos IslandsTuvaluUgandaUkraineUnited Arab EmiratesUnited KingdomUnited StatesUruguayUzbekistanVanuatuVenezuela, Bolivarian Republic ofVietnamVirgin Islands, BritishWallis and FutunaWestern SaharaYemenZambiaZimbabweI also wish to receive emails from AAAS/Science and Science advertisers, including information on products, services and special offers which may include but are not limited to news, careers information & upcoming events.Required fields are included by an asterisk(*)In fact, officials said, the decision to bar the students was based on the policy that Bolden announced at a congressional hearing in March. Bolden said it would be a temporary moratorium and would be lifted after NASA completed an internal review of security procedures for allowing citizens of these countries access to NASA facilities.That review concluded in July, according to a NASA spokesperson. But not everybody in NASA management seems to have been aware that the moratorium was no longer in effect when the Chinese students attempted to register for the conference at Ames.The resulting uproar appears to have lifted the fog of confusion. “The initial decision about the Kepler conference was based on an internal misunderstanding of the Administrator’s foreign national access moratorium implemented in March, which is no longer in effect,” writes Allard Beutel, a NASA spokesperson, in an e-mail to ScienceInsider. “But because NASA was essentially closed during the federal government shutdown (until October 17), we weren’t able to address and remedy this situation sooner than last Thursday.”Beutel said NASA has asked the National Academy of Public Administration (NAPA) to conduct an independent security review of its facilities and procedures. “NASA is working closely with the NAPA review team and looks forward to its conclusions,” he writes.last_img read more

Read More