Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppUnited States, April 10, 2017 – Miami – The 2017 hurricane season is fast approaching, and NOAA and the U.S. Air Force Reserve will host a series of events, including tours aboard a hurricane hunter aircraft to help communities in Mexico and the Caribbean prepare for the season and weather the coming storms.NOAA hurricane specialists, including National Hurricane Center director Rick Knabb, Ph.D., will provide information to residents of vulnerable communities about hurricane preparedness and resilience. Tours of the Air Force Reserve Command’s WC-130J “Hurricane Hunter” will offer an opportunity to learn how scientists collect hurricane information.“Several Caribbean countries were severely damaged last year by Hurricane Matthew and Hurricane Otto,” Knabb said. “Another season is just weeks away and we have to be prepared. Simply hoping one of these storms won’t hit your community is not a good plan.”Locations, all local airports, and local times for public tours are:April 24, 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. – Merida, MexicoApril 25, 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. – San Pedro Sula, HondurasApril 26, 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. – Grand CaymanApril 27, 12:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. – Turks and CaicosApril 29, 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. – Aquadilla, Puerto RicoDuring hurricanes, military air crews fly state-of-the-art WC-130J aircraft directly into the core of tropical cyclones to gather data that are critical for forecasting a hurricane’s intensity and landfall. The data are sent in real time via satellite from the aircraft directly to the National Hurricane Center for analysis and use by hurricane forecasters.“This data is vital in improving storm track models, which plays a critical role in alerting coastal residents about potential hazards,” said Lt. Col. Kaitlyn Woods, 53rd WRS chief meteorologist. “The Caribbean Hurricane Awareness Tour educates the public not only about our mission but also of the importance of being prepared.”During the 2016 hurricane season, the 53rd WRS flew 75 missions, including 12 investigative flights over the Atlantic, for the National Hurricane Center. It also flew one mission over the eastern North Pacific and 14 over the central North Pacific. The eastern North Pacific hurricane season begins May 15 while the central North Pacific and Atlantic basin hurricane season begins June 1.Aside from Knabb, also participating in the tour will be Lixion Avila, Ph.D., NOAA NHC senior hurricane specialist; and U.S Air Force reservists from the 53rd Weather Reconnaissance Squadron (WRS), 403rdWing, Keesler Air Force Base, Biloxi, Miss.NOAA’s mission is to understand and predict changes in the Earth’s environment, from the depths of the ocean to the surface of the sun, and to conserve and manage our coastal and marine resources. Join us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and our other social media channels.Press Release: NOAA Related Items: Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp
WILMINGTON, MA — Here are the obituaries published on Wilmington Apple during the week of September 30, 2018:Lived In Wilmington At Time Of Passing:Donald M. Manson, 76Patricia Anne (Walsh) Moulton, 77Previously Lived In Wilmington:Ursula E. (Uhland) Tupper, 73Worked In/Volunteered In/Connected To Wilmington:Ralph Douglas Spurling, Jr., 72Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email email@example.com.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedWilmington OBITUARIES (Week of August 25, 2019)In “Obituaries”Wilmington OBITUARIES (Week of August 18, 2019)In “Obituaries”Wilmington OBITUARIES (Week of August 11, 2019)In “Obituaries”
WILMINGTON, MA — Dick’s Sporting Goods is offering Wilmington Little League families 20% off throughout the store on Saturday, March 23, 2019 and Sunday, March 24, 2019. This coupon is valid at the store’s Davners, Saugus, and Salem, NH locations.Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip?Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedDick’s Sporting Goods Offering Wilmington Little League Families A 20% Off Coupon For March 24 & 25In “Sports”5 Things To Do In Wilmington On Saturday, March 23, 2019In “5 Things To Do Today”5 Things To Do In Wilmington On Sunday, March 24, 2019In “5 Things To Do Today”
Sembcorp Industries, one of Southeast Asia’s biggest utilities companies, plans to roughly triple its renewable energy portfolio over the next five years, targetting India and China for growth, a senior company official said.Industrial conglomerate Sembcorp, whose utilities arm forms one of its three main divisions, expects renewable energy to account for 20 percent of its total power capacity in five years, up from 13 percent at present, executive vice president Tan Cheng Guan told the Reuters Summit.”Over the last three years, we have grown renewables quite significantly,” Tan said. “We have been able to accelerate because the cost of renewables has been coming down quite quickly because of technology and scale.”Sembcorp, which plans to focus on wind and solar energy, where costs are expected to drop further by 2020, has total power capacity of about 8,800 megawatts (MW).India and China make up the bulk of its renewables capacity, with wind power assets in China of about 450 MW.In India, it jointly owns and operates wind and solar power assets with a total power capacity of 750 MW after buying a majority stake in Indian renewable energy firm Green Infra in February, this year.”India is under served at the moment and their (power) capacity is maybe one quarter of China’s, even with about the same population,” Tan said. “So, if India’s economy grows by 7 to 8 percent in the next decade, we see that India will grow the fastest.”A boom in clean energy projects is expected in India after it hiked its solar energy target to 100 gigawatts by 2022, a 33-fold rise from current levels.In China, Sembcorp is also jointly building a coal-fired power plant near coal mines in Chongqing.Tan said the plant’s newer and more efficient technology would help in China’s push to reduce its carbon footprint.Sembcorp is also looking towards Bangladesh and Myanmar where it is developing gas-fired power plants.He declined to comment on Sembcorp’s credit exposure to Jurong Aromatics Corp (JAC), which went into receivership last month due to debt problems.Sembcorp has a 20-year agreement with JAC for the supply of steam and other water and wastewater treatment services.
The Baltimore County Council on June 5 tabled action on taking up a federal program which would have required corrections officers at the county’s detention center to determine the immigration status of detainees.The council voted 5-2 to table action on a program established under Section 287g of the U.S. Immigration and Nationality Act, which also would have given the Department of Homeland Security authority to deputize state and local law enforcement agents to act as immigration officers. Baltimore County Councilmen Todd K. Crandell (R-District 7) and Wade Kach (R-District 3) were the only two to vote against tabling the measure. Baltimore County Executive Kevin Kamenetz (Courtesy Photo/baltimorecountymd.gov)Baltimore County Executive Kevin Kamenetz staunchly opposed his jurisdiction joining Frederick and Harford counties in taking up the federal program. Anne Arundel County has applied for approval to join the program, but faces opposition from the ACLU of Maryland, which has created a petition requesting the county to withdraw its application. Kamenetz had threatened to veto any county bill seeking entry into the program. An executive order issued by Kamenetz in April bars the detaining of any county inmate past their scheduled release date for reasons connected to their immigration status.“The Council’s action affirms support for my Executive Order, a responsible and public safety policy that protects the rights of individuals,” Kamenetz wrote in a tweet following the county vote. “The misguided policy was more about spreading Donald Trump’s divisive policies to our country than doing what is best for our residents.”The legislation could have cost taxpayers millions of dollars annually for the additional detainment of inmates based on their immigration status, as well as costs connected to potential lawsuits against the county for the unlawful detainment.According to the Maryland State Board of Elections, at the time of last November’s general election, 56 percent of Baltimore County residents were registered as Democrats. Under the 2010 census, just 4.2 percent of the county’s 805,029 residents identified themselves as being Hispanic or Latino.
Dresden police on Sunday said they had received information from federal and state counterparts indicating a “concrete threat” against the right-wing populist group “Patriotic Europeans Against the Islamisation of the Occident”.There had been calls for would-be “assassins to mingle among the protesters and to murder an individual member of the organising team of the PEGIDA demonstrations”, police said in a notice on the 24-hour ban.This was consistent with “an Arabic-language Tweet that called the PEGIDA demonstrations an enemy of Islam,” it said. Also Read – Pro-Govt supporters rally as Hong Kong’s divisions deepenThe PEGIDA marches — which have voiced anger against Islam and “criminal asylum seekers” and vented a host of other grievances — began in Dresden in October with several hundred supporters and have since steadily grown.They drew a record 25,000 people last Monday, in the wake of the attacks by radical Islamists in Paris in which 17 people were killed.Also last Monday, some 100,000 Germans marched in nationwide counter-demonstrations against PEGIDA. Also Read – Pak Army ‘fully prepared’ to face any challenge: Army spokesmanDresden police said that after the latest information “and given the characteristics of terrorist attacks, we must assume the use of homicidal means and an immediate threat to life and limb of all participants of the demonstrations.”Because there were no individual suspects, Dresden police said it saw no alternative to the temporary suspension of the constitutional right to free assembly within city limits.However, PEGIDA earlier told its followers on Facebook that its 13th planned rally had been scrapped, citing a threat from the Islamic State jihadist group, and portraying the cancellation as its own decision. “What in police jargon is called an ‘abstract threat’ has changed to a ‘concrete death threat’ against a member of the organising team. IS terrorists have ordered his assassination,” it said in a statement.It had decided to call off the Dresden event as it could not guarantee the security of marchers and feared “collateral damage”.In a later press release, it said that after having failed to agree with police on a way to secure the march, it had “considered it irresponsible to expose our sympathisers and our city to incalculable risks.”