Houses arranged for families of Bhavkhedi victims in Shivpuri city: Jyotiradtiya Scindia

first_imgFamilies of two Dalit children who were allegedly killed for defecating in the open in Bhavkhedi village in Shivpuri district would be moved into two houses in the city, Congress leader Jyotiradtiya Scindia has said.“I had promised them that I will leave the village only after settling them in Shivpuri,” Mr. Scindia told reporters. “For now, they have been moved into two temporary houses having a room, a kitchen and a courtyard each…Nothing can cure the deep wounds the family has suffered. But being people’s servants, the least we can do is bring them succour,” he said. The construction of permanent houses would at least take a month, Mr. Scindia told the family. “I am going to pay ₹5 – 5.5 lakh from my own pocket for it,” he added. Besides, he said, adult members of the family would be given employment, and children their education. “Both the families will start staying at the houses from tomorrow,” Mr. Scindia tweeted on Monday, after meeting the families.Two houses had been arranged for the families, he said, besides ensuring their adult members employment and children their education. The houses would be allotted to them under a government scheme, District Deputy Collector Manoj Garwal told The Hindu. “As for a job, we will have to see what kind of work they will be able to do. Most probably, it will be a daily wage job,” he said. Besides, Mr. Scindia on Monday wrote to Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Kamal Nath appealing to him to provide lifetime support to the families as they “belonged to the Dalit community” and were “poor”.Requesting assistance on humanitarian ground, he said both the families should be given 10 ‘bigha’ land each. Moreover, “immediate financial support of ₹50 lakh each for the affected families was important”.On September 25, as the two children were defecating in the open along a village road, two Yadav men struck lathis on their heads, killing them. They were later arrested.During an interaction with Mr. Scindia, the father of one of the victims pleaded with him for a house outside the village. “I am going mad here. I may consume poison. I want justice,” he said. The father of one of the victims had earlier told The Hindu the family had lived in fear since then and had decided to leave the village fearing intimidation by the family of the accused.“I don’t see people of my region on religious or caste lines. Only a cruel person could commit something like this… I cannot believe someone in my region could even think of doing something like this,” Mr. Scindia told the father.last_img read more

Read More

Manny Pacquiao lists the top 7 boxers he’s fought

first_imgJune Mar Fajardo dedicates 5th PBA MVP to his family LATEST STORIES Manny Pacquiao part of 2019 SEA Games opening ceremony PLAY LIST 00:36Manny Pacquiao part of 2019 SEA Games opening ceremony00:44Manny Pacquiao on Floyd Mayweather: Let him enjoy retirement01:49Pacquiao to Mayweather: Want fans to stop asking for rematch? Then fight me again02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss LOOK: Joyce Pring goes public with engagement to Juancho Triviño SEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completion LOOK: Joyce Pring goes public with engagement to Juancho Triviño Pacquiao had a thrilling trilogy with Morales, with him winning 2-1, a four-fight epic with Marquez, and a couple of wins against Barrera.Boxing’s only eight-division champion forced De La Hoya into retirement, knocked out a prime Hatton, pummeled Cotto, and had one of the most memorable rivalries in boxing history with Mayweather.Despite wrestling the title of best pound-for-pound boxer for almost 10 years, Mayweather and Pacquiao only fought once in a dud of a bout in 2015 that ended in a unanimous decision win for the Pretty Boy.Pacquiao is currently preparing for his defense of the WBA World welterweight title against Adrien Broner on January 19.ADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Is Luis Manzano planning to propose to Jessy Mendiola? Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Nextcenter_img TS Kammuri to enter PAR possibly a day after SEA Games opening MOST READ (L-R) Manny Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez exchange blows during their welterweight bout at the MGM Grand Garden Arena on December 8, 2012 in Las Vegas, Nevada. Al Bello/Getty Images/AFPMANILA, Philippines—Manny Pacquiao has fought 69 times as a professional that spanned across three different decades.The Filipino boxing icon championed different eras and was at one point the best boxer in the world, regardless of weight class, and this longevity saw him go up against the Sweet Science’s best.ADVERTISEMENT SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte SEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completion View comments Pacquiao, though, narrowed down the greatest fighters he’s fought to seven names.“I think my top opponents are Oscar De La Hoya, Juan Manuel Marquez, Marco Antonio Barrera, Miguel Cotto, Floyd Mayweather Jr., Erik Morales, and Ricky Hatton,” said Pacquiao in a report by BoxingNewsOnline.net.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSUrgent reply from Philippine ‍football chiefSPORTSWin or don’t eat: the Philippines’ poverty-driven, world-beating pool starsPacquiao (60-7-2) burst into the scene in 2001 when he beat Lehlo Ledwaba senseless for the IBF world super bantamweight title and it was, coincidentally, in the undercard of De La Hoya’s fight against Javier Castillejo for the WBC World super welterweight championship.It was the fight that catapulted a blonde-dyed Pacquiao to the American consciousness and everything that followed was history. Private companies step in to help SEA Games hostinglast_img read more

Read More

Yasir Shah’s 14-wicket haul helps Pakistan beat New Zealand by an innings in 2nd Test

first_imgLeg-spinner Yasir Shah finished with a career-best match haul 14 for 184 to fire Pakistan to a series-levelling victory over New Zealand in the second Test in Dubai on Tuesday.Shah, who bagged a career-best 8 for 41 in the first innings, picked up six wickets in the second innings to help Pakistan bowl New Zealand out for 312 and power the home team to an innings and 16-run win.The victory helped Pakistan level the three-match series 1-1.New Zealand were bundled out for only 90 in their first innings after Pakistan had declared 418/5.Shah equalled the Pakistan record for wickets in a Test with fast bowler Imran Khan, who achieved his feat in 1982 against Sri Lanka in Lahore.”I haven’t bowled as well as this, especially with the pitch offering turn and bounce like it did,” Shah said.”The attempt was to put the disappointment of the first Test behind and compete better. We just needed to keep getting wickets, and thanks God that happened.”Pakistan vs New Zealand 2nd Test: Highlights | ScorecardCenturies by Haris Sohail and Babar Azam put Pakistan in command after making 418/5 declared.Shah then went to work. He has 22 wickets in the series, and needs five more to reach 200 in his career. They should come in Abu Dhabi, where the teams return for the third Test and series decider from Monday.New Zealand won the first Test there by four runs.”Yasir’s spell was the best that I have ever seen in my years of Test cricket,” Pakistan skipper Sarfraz Ahmed said.advertisement”The responsibility was first with the batsmen to make some runs, and they delivered.”Ross Taylor (82), Henry Nicholls (77) and Tom Latham (50) led New Zealand’s resistance, but the damage was wrought in the first innings.”We batted better in the second innings, but that session yesterday when Yasir put us under tremendous pressure and put the ball in the right areas (did us in),” New Zealand captain Kane Williamson said.”He is an exceptional bowler, and it’s important we learn some lessons quickly because we will face all the bowlers again (in the third Test).”Forced to follow on, New Zealand resumed on 131/2 and Taylor and Latham were out in the first session.Latham was contentiously adjudged caught behind off Hasan Ali soon after completing his half-century. Umpire Paul Reiffel referred to third umpire Ian Gould to confirm. Latham played a defensive shot close to his front pad, and as the ball passed the bat the replay technology spiked.However, Latham walked off the field in disbelief. After lasting for 158 deliveries and hitting four boundaries, his dismissal ended an 80-run, third-wicket stand with Taylor.Two balls later, Nicholls successfully reviewed an lbw decision against him as video showed Hasan’s delivery would have missed the leg stump.Taylor completed his half-century off 54 balls when he drove Hasan through the point boundary off the first ball of the day.But Taylor went on the defense for a while before he played a reckless sweep, half an hour before lunch, and top-edged offspinner Bilal Asif to deep backward square leg. Taylor’s innings featured seven fours and a six and came off 128 balls.New Zealand reached 222-4 at lunch.Shah then trapped BJ Watling on 27 off the second new ball after lunch.Hasan returned to accept the wicket of Colin de Grandhomme for the third time in the series. De Grandhomme went for an unnecessary pull shot and played onto the fast bowler on 14.Ish Sodhi also gave his wicket away when he tried to sweep Shah, missed the line of the ball and was clean bowled for 4.Nicholls was undone four overs after tea by Hasan’s sharp delivery which nipped back into the left-hander to knock back the off stump.Shah wrapped up the innings soon after by claiming the wickets of Neil Wagner and Trent Boult.Hasan finished the innings with 3/46.(With inputs from AP)last_img read more

Read More