Those excluded from final NRC can appeal in Foreigners Tribunal: Home Minister “The civil administration had filed 24 cases against such people when the NRC first draft was being published. There papers were found to be forged,” the district’s Superintendent of Police Ankur Jain told The Hindu.Some of these people have since obtained bail from the Gauhati High Court and the lower courts, he said.NRC Assam’s State Coordinator Prateek Hajela had on July 2 submitted before the Supreme Court that some 1.5 lakh would be deleted from the first draft due to various anomalies. The first draft, published on December 31, 2017, had the names of 1.9 crore of a total 3.29 applicants.The 1.5 lakh included 65,694 cases of “family tree mismatch” while 48,456 cases were of married women who had submitted doubtful panchayat certificates. Another 19,783 were left out because of data entry errors. District officials in Assam have begun work to delete the names of ‘declared foreigners’ whose names had been included in the complete draft of the updated National Register of Citizens (NRC) that was published on July 30.In central Assam’s Morigaon district, officials have identified some 200 people declared foreigners by various Foreigners’ Tribunals or facing cases related to their doubtful citizenship.Assam has 100 such tribunals where people of suspect nationality are required to prove they are Indians.Also Read 200 in Morigaon“These 200 belong to 39 families scattered across the district. Some of them are declared foreigners while some others are suspected illegal immigrants with cases pending,” Morigaon Deputy Commissioner Hemen Das said.“Their detection was not based on any complaint. A mechanism we have in place helped us find their names in the draft NRC. We are deleting their names from the list suo motu so that people don’t lose their faith in the system,” he said. However, he declined to reveal their names or their villages of residence for “security reasons”.Fake papers in HojaiThe police in central Assam’s Hojai district too have filed charge-sheets against 91 people who had submitted fake documents while applying for NRC.Also Read The citizenry test: Assam NRC explained
LATEST STORIES Garcia addresses trade rumors, says he’s good terms with his players Globe Business launches leading cloud-enabled and hardware-agnostic conferencing platform in PH AFP official booed out of forum Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City Read Next “If they want to trade me, I can’t do anything about it, but as of now, I’m with Rain or Shine and I need to play well for them.”Belga, along with Jericho Cruz and Raymond Almazan, are in the middle of trade rumors supposedly stemming from their disconnect over how coach Caloy Garcia is running the team.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSLillard, Anthony lead Blazers over ThunderSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutBut amid all talks, Belga was at his usual self, finishing with a double-double of 13 points, 13 rebounds, and three assists in the victory.It was the Sorsogon native’s way of staying professional knowing that as long as he’s wearing a Rain or Shine jersey, he has a responsibility to meet for the tea. “I’m with Rain or Shine as of now and I need to play because the bosses in Rain or Shine are the ones who are providing food for my family,” he said.Belga was the lone player involved in those trade talks who was willing to speak to the media. Jericho Cruz excused himself from the press, while Raymond Almazan quickly left the venue after the game. MOST READ View comments Photo by Tristan Tamayo/ INQUIRER.netBeau Belga maintained that he has no say on whether Rain or Shine decides to trade him or any other player away.“Those things are already beyond our control,” he said in Filipino after the Elasto Painters’ 90-84 victory over Meralco on Friday.ADVERTISEMENT NEXT BLOCK ASIA 2.0 introduces GURUS AWARDS to recognize and reward industry influencers Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding 2 ‘newbie’ drug pushers fall in Lucena sting Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Slow and steady hope for near-extinct Bangladesh tortoises
Ace shooter Vijay Kumar, who won India’s only silver medal in the ongoing London Olympics so far, would get his due by his employer, the Indian Army, sources told Headlines Today on Tuesday. Army sources said that the grievances of Kumar, who has been unhappy with the treatment meted out to him by the armed forces, would be sympathetically looked into.Kumar is currently a subedar with 16 Dogra Regiment and he wants to leave the army as he has not been given any promotion for six years despite his good performances at the national and international levels.Kumar’s latest and biggest achievement was his silver medal last week after he finished second in the 25m rapid fire pistol event.Army sources said that army chief General Bikram Singh would personally look into the matter as Kumar is an achiever who has brought pride upon the army and the nation.