New head of Spanish federation upset over World Cup trip

first_imgVolcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding LATEST STORIES Jury of 7 men, 5 women selected for Weinstein rape trial China population now over 1.4 billion as birthrate falls Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours Lacson: Calamity fund cut; where did P4 billion go? Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Spanish media said delegation members were expected to receive 100,000 euros ($120,000) each in case Spain wins the World Cup in Russia.Rubiales last month took over a federation which was in the hands of embattled official Angel Maria Villar for nearly three decades.A former head of Spain’s players’ association, Rubiales was elected president over Juan Luis Larrea, the federation’s former treasurer and its interim leader since Villar — a former FIFA and UEFA vice president — was suspended following his arrest last year on suspicion of improper management, misappropriation of funds, corruption and falsifying documents.Rubiales said he believed Larrea approved the trip, but the former official told Spanish media he had nothing to do with it.Rubiales had promised to learn from past mistakes and improve the federation while maintaining transparency.ADVERTISEMENT Winfrey details her decision to withdraw from Simmons film Dave Chappelle donates P1 million to Taal relief operations “I’m very upset,” Rubiales said. “This is going to affect the negotiations of the (World Cup) prize. If it was a trip of three days instead of an eight-day vacation, then we would have a bigger margin that could return to the players.”Rubiales said the trip cannot be canceled and the money cannot be reimbursed.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownThose invited for the trip reportedly will stay in luxury hotels and have translators and transportation available to them while in Russia. They will go to St. Petersburg, Kazan and Kaliningrad. Spain will play group matches in Kazan and Kaliningrad but not in St. Petersburg.“The federation is not here for something like this,” Rubiales said. “This is not going to happen again in the future.” Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina MOST READ Spain’s Odriozola, center left, celebrates scoring his side’s opening goal with his teammates against Switzerland’s during the friendly soccer match between Spain and Switzerland at the Ceramica stadium in Villarreal, Spain, Sunday, June 3, 2018. (AP Photo/Alberto Saiz)MADRID — The new president of the Spanish soccer federation has attacked the past administration for paying about $2 million to take more than 150 people to Russia during the World Cup, saying the expense could even affect the prize money for the players.Luis Rubiales said he found out the federation gave an eight-day trip to local officials and sponsors.ADVERTISEMENT Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next View comments Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Next stop San Francisco as ‘longest swim’ embarks from Tokyo Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. last_img read more

Read More

eHealth Turns Emergency Operations Centers Over To Gov’t

first_imgeHealth-Africa in partnership with the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) has turned over Emergency Operations Centers (EOCs) constructed across the country to 11 of the 15 county health teams. eHealth-Africa constructed and operated 15 of the EOCs in the country during the Ebola outbreak, but is now phasing out the project. With the turn-over exercise, the Ministry of Health will now take over the project.The weeklong turning over exercise was carried out simultaneously by three teams (A, B, C) across the country. Team A covered Rivercess, Sinoe, Grand Kru and Maryland counties.Team B included Grand Cape Mount, Grand Bassa and Bomi counties, while Team C turned over EOCs in Lofa, Nimba, Grand Gedeh and River Gee counties.Each of the EOCs consists of a conference room and work station that are well equipped with internet service for effective reporting of emergency cases, desk phones, laptops, projectors, flat screen televisions, white boards, among other equipment.The facilities were provided by eHealth-Africa through funding from the CDC as part of efforts by the United States government to help build a resilient health sector in Liberia. The facilities are also meant to fight Ebola and other diseases in Liberia through an effective Internet Technology (IT) System.eHealth-Africa originally operated in Nigeria where through its communication system fought significantly against the spread of Ebola virus disease (EVD) and the eradication of Polio in that West African state.During the handing over of the facility in Sinoe County, Senator, J. Milton Teajay, expressed appreciation to the US government for aiding the people of Liberia at a most critical time.He described the handover as a manifestation of true traditional friendship and love for humanity.He lauded the CDC and eHealth-Africa for their willingness to come and help save the lives of Liberians at a most critical and devastating time in the country’s history.The Sinoe lawmaker meanwhile assured eHealth-Africa and the CDC that the facilities will be used for the intended purpose.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Read More