SA comedian signs movie deal at Cannes

first_img21 May 2014 South African comedian David Kau clinched a deal with US company Archstone Distribution for his upcoming movie Sekwankwetla at the Cannes Film Festival on Tuesday. Sekwankwetla tells the story of a South African township superhero whose super powers enable him to fly – but no more than 10 centimetres high. Kau signed the deal with Archstone Companies founders and partners Scott Martin and Michael Slifkin at the South Africa Pavilion at Cannes, the National Film and Video Foundation (NFVF) said in a statement on Tuesday. Archstone Distribution has gained a reputation as a filmmaker-friendly distribution and sales company, with nearly 100 titles in their current library. Archstone Pictures currently produces and co-produces between three and five films a year. It has already completed production on two films this year – action/thriller Awaken and action/adventure Out of the Burning Blue, both currently selling at the Cannes market. According to the NFVF, Sekwankwetla will be directed by award-winning South African director Teboho Mahlatsi, and co-produced by Archstone Pictures, David Kau’s Disadvantaged Background Productions and Mahlatsi’s The Bomb Shelter. “We plan to shoot the film on location in KwaZulu-Natal, and have already started negotiations with the newly established KwaZulu-Natal Film Commission representatives, who are also attending the festival to market the province as a best location,” Kau told the NFVF. South Africa’s participation at Cannes Film Festival is facilitated by the NFVF in partnership with the KwaZulu-Natal Film Commission, the Durban Film Office and Western Cape destination marketing organisation Wesgro. Kau is a member of the Association for Transformation in Film and Television, which is sponsored by the Department of Trade and Industry. SAinfo reporterlast_img read more

Read More

Army to give Olympic medallist Vijay Kumar his due: Sources

first_imgAce shooter Vijay Kumar, who won India’s only silver medal in the ongoing London Olympics so far, would get his due by his employer, the Indian Army, sources told Headlines Today on Tuesday. Army sources said that the grievances of Kumar, who has been unhappy with the treatment meted out to him by the armed forces, would be sympathetically looked into.Kumar is currently a subedar with 16 Dogra Regiment and he wants to leave the army as he has not been given any promotion for six years despite his good performances at the national and international levels.Kumar’s latest and biggest achievement was his silver medal last week after he finished second in the 25m rapid fire pistol event.Army sources said that army chief General Bikram Singh would personally look into the matter as Kumar is an achiever who has brought pride upon the army and the nation.last_img read more

Read More

World Cup 2019: Pat Cummins highlights Glenn Maxwell’s role in Australian team

first_imgAustralia vice-captain Pat Cummins said teammate Glen Maxwell will a vital cog in the team as the all-rounder’s performance with the bat and ball would hold the key to their aspirations of winning the sixth World Cup.Australia have won two back-to-back ODI series — in India and against Pakistan — in the run up to World Cup and Maxwell has played an important role, hitting three half-centuries in their 5-0 series win in the UAE.A spell at Lancashire has also helped him adapt to the English conditions before the mega event.”I think the way he has turned games around for us in the last couple of months has been impressive with the bat and then he is also an option to bowl ten overs,” Cummins was quoted as saying by ICC media.”He is also able to get run-outs and take catches. You get all three facets out of him and he is always there in tough situations. He is probably our sixth bowler but on a good day he can get through all ten. He’s in good form,” the fast bowler added.The defending champions won both their warm-up matches ahead of the World Cup — against England and Sri Lanka — and are now back as one of the favourites to lift the Cup.”Fans always expect us to do well and we are the same. Luckily, we have had a lot of success in the last 30 or 40 years so we are confident,” said Cummins.advertisementThe 25-year-old said they have built a special team in the last six months.”We have played consistent cricket for the last few months. It can be hard to go from Test cricket to ODI cricket and adjust and build a settle team. But in the last six months, we have built a special team and everyone has found their roles.”Australia will begin their title defence against Afghanistan on June 1 at Bristol.”If you asked us six or 12 months ago who would be in the side, there would have been far more question marks.”Everyone feels like we are all in a good place, we have played a lot of games now. We are ready to play. We will just go through the usual routines now, nothing specific, just some low-key bits to make sure we are ready,” said Cummins.Also Read | Great position to be in as compared to 10 months ago: Aaron FinchAlso Read | Surprised by Jayawardene’s comments: Angelo Mathews responds to captaincy criticismAlso Seelast_img read more

Read More

Rep Theis bills protect minors involved in sex crimes

first_img07Feb Rep. Theis bills protect minors involved in sex crimes State Rep. Lana Theis today introduced a bipartisan legislative package to protect young victims of sexual-based offenses, while helping local school districts better protect their students who are victims of such crimes.The legislation is in response to a recent Livingston County case involving a 16-year-old offender convicted of criminal sexual conduct against multiple victims, one as young as 12.“The details of this case are heart wrenching and expose a significant need in our state involving juvenile victims and perpetrators in criminal sexual conduct cases,” said Theis, of Brighton. “Everything from the conviction, punishment and possibility of the offender returning to the same high school attended by the victims show we have to treat this crime with the severity it deserves.”Under current law, a school must expel a student who commits criminal sexual conduct in a school building or on school grounds. The legislation would require schools to expel students who are convicted of criminal sexual conduct against another pupil enrolled in the same school district; and prohibit an offender from enrolling in a school building where their victim attends school. The legislation also requires that if a personal protection order is ordered for the victim of sexual assaults, the offender, regardless of age, would be prohibited from entering the victim’s school.“Criminal sexual conduct needs to be dealt with more seriously, especially when it involves minors, because the punishment handed down in Livingston County did nothing – to rehabilitate the offender, get justice for the victims or protect the community,” said Theis, a member of the House Law and Justice Committee. “We need to do better in Michigan.”House Bills 5530 and 5531 were assigned to the House Law and Justice Committee.##### Categories: News,Theis Newslast_img read more

Read More

Netflix has inked a programming deal with the Wein

first_imgNetflix has inked a programming deal with the Weinstein Group. The content streaming and delivery service’s deal with the movie producer and distributor gives it access to a raft of features including The Artist, which will now debut on Netflix ahead of premium cable in the US.The multiyear deal also gives US-listed Netflix Weinstein’s Undefeated, which will also debut on Netflix ahead of cable. The features covered by the deal will be available on Netflix within a year of their theatrical release. Other titles include The Intouchables, W.E. and Bully.“We couldn’t be happier to be working again with Harvey and Bob, who have an unmatched track record of creating critically acclaimed and commercially successful movies,” said Netflix chief content officer Ted Sarandos.“It is a fantastic coup for Netflix to acquire The Artist and the package of additional titles,” said TWC co-chairman Harvey Weinstein, “It’s exciting that we can offer consumers a supremely convenient way to see the kinds of movies that made us want to be in this business in the first place.”last_img read more

Read More

Alticeowned French service provider SFR has launc

first_imgAltice-owned French service provider SFR has launched its planned SFR Sport and SFR News channels, following the earlier launch of SFR Presse and SFR Play.The latest launches fill out SFR’s plan to become a major media player with activities centred on five poles – SFR Presse, SFR Sport, SFR News, SFR Play and SFR Family. SFR Family, which is already available, is designed to complement the TV and press offering by providing up to 40GB of mobile data to be shared between family members, with the ability to share content across multiple devices, while SFR Presse gives SFR customers access to the press titles of the recently formed Altice media Group, including newspaper Libération and magazine L’Express.SFR Sport is a bouquet of channels dedicated to sport. SFR Sport 1 is dedicated to Altice’s flagship property, its exclusive rights to the English Premier League in France. SFR Sport 2 carries the Aviva Premiership rugby competition, Pro A and Pro B basketball, tennis and skiing, while SFR Sport 3 specialises in extreme sports. SFR Sport 4K offers UHD TV coverage of key sports, and SFR Sport 5 covers combat sports and martial arts.SFR News includes the existing BFM TV, BFM Business and Israeli i24 channels, as well as two new services – BFM TV Sport, which is launching in time for the Euro 2016 football championship, and BFM TV Paris, which will launch in October.SFR is providing multiscreen access to the new services, including live sports.last_img read more

Read More