A unique scheme to help men in Co Donegal overcome obesity and to get involved in moderate exercise is to be launched.Many Donegal men need to get on the move.Men’s health research has demonstrated that huge impacts can be achieved by participating in regular physical activity.Inactivity can be strongly associated with the risk of developing many of our chronic diseases such as heart disease, cancer, stroke, diabetes as well as obesity. In Ireland 26% of men are not meeting the recommended amount of physical activity which is at least 30 minutes per day on at least 5 days per week, in addition the prevalence of overweight and obesity has significantly increased, 64.5% of men in 36 – 50 years are overweight with 11.8% obese with similar figures existing for the 51 – 64 age bracket.Men on the Move Donegal which is being piloted by Donegal Sports Partnership with the support of DLDC and the HSE Health Promotion Department aims to support men in their challenge to increase their physical activity levels and to gain a better understanding and awareness of the importance of physical activity to our physical health and mental wellbeing.The programme will commence with a series of information sessions and health check in 4 areas across Co Donegal starting with;• The Vestry (St Conals) Letterkenny 7pm on Tuesday 3rd September • The Yard Centre, Falcarragh 7pm on Thursday 5th September• St Johnston & Carrigans FRC 7pm Wednesday 11th September• Niall Mór Centre, Killybegs 8pm on Thursday 12th SeptemberThese information sessions which will last approximately 1 .5 hours are open to men over 35 and will provide an outline of the components of the programme which will include fitness testing, physical activity programme and support workshops. Some light refreshments will also be available with sessions being delivered in an informal manner.Further information is available by contacting Karen Guthrie at Donegal Sports Partnership 074 91 16078 or 91 16079 – email Karen@activedonegal.com DONEGAL MEN READY TO GET ON THE MOVE! was last modified: August 29th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:donegalMen On The Moveweight
Newcastle boss Steve McClaren blamed defensive errors and praised Chelsea’s clinical finishing after his side’s 5-1 defeat at Stamford Bridge.Pedro scored twice and Diego Costa, Willian and Bertrand Traore were also on target as the Blues won their first home league game under Guus Hiddink.Chelsea were 3-0 up after just 16 minutes and McClaren conceded it was difficult to come back from such a woeful start.He said: “Last week we won the game in the first 20 minutes, this week we lost it in the first 20 minutes.“The majority of the goals and opportunities were self-inflicted and Chelsea worked it perfectly in the fact that you could see they wanted the game won by half time.It’s very difficult, 3-0 down after 15 minutes, to come back from that. But that’s what can happen when you come here.”Former QPR coach McClaren said Chelsea had exposed his side’s makeshift defence but hoped the 18-day gap before their next fixture would ease their injury crisis.He added: “It’s Steven Taylor’s second game in six or seven months, Rolando Aarons is a winger playing at left-back, so we’ve had defensive problems. We hope that three or four will come back in the next 18-day period.“It’s a good opportunity to regroup, get organised, stay calm and don’t let this derail us.”See also:Fast start was pre-planned, says HiddinkFollow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook
All of us must participate to make sure the programme we’ve put forward works – so says the president in a call for unity to meet South Africa’s potential.President Jacob Zuma called on all South Africans to participate in taking the country forward.The government was doing its part, now do your part and invest in South Africa, he said, calling on business, labour, civil society and residents to form a partnership with the state.He was speaking at a business breakfast briefing, hosted by Brand South Africa, the SABC and The New Age at Grand West Casino in Cape Town on 10 February 2012. Just a few hours before, he had said goodnight to his guests after delivering his fourth State of the Nation Address (SONA) in Parliament.The mood at Grand West was jovial; everyone was relaxed and satisfied. The president himself was fresh-faced and upbeat.At the breakfast were government ministers, deputy ministers and business people, all armed with their questions. The briefing was broadcast live on SABC, and the general public was able to send in their questions for the president on Twitter and SMS.The openness of the dialogue was precedent-setting for a sitting South African president, and certainly marked a change in the government’s way of doing business.“We want to do things differently. We want to take South Africa forward. We believe we’ve made progress, but we know that there are challenges,” he began. The government was tackling the economy in a way that it had not done in the past. “We can’t only do politics; we must also do the economy.”Zuma said the government’s major programme was infrastructure as it believed that building infrastructure would give opportunities to all.The government was creating an enabling environment and building infrastructure, and business needed to invest in opportunities that would open up. This would bring jobs and so improve the quality of life for all.“We have discussed the difficulties of doing business in South Africa. We are opening this. You must participate in this window period.”Partnership was a big theme for Zuma, who called on business to work with the government to deal with the negative impact of job losses. Training was mentioned as a possibility. “We must create the kind of projects that can create jobs.”Asked what was different for workers in his SONA – we’ve heard this all before, was the criticism – he said: “We’ve created an environment where jobs can be created. We have a massive infrastructure programme; there is money for it. The private sector must see the opportunities for investment, and invest. The logical consequence of that is jobs.“You can’t have jobs without investment and the government is creating an environment for investment.”He had three items on his wish list from the private sector: invest in the country, have confidence in the country, and big business must help small business.A hot potato issue, especially given that the Mining Indaba has just finished in Cape Town, is the nationalisation of mines. The final word on the topic came from the president. Setting many minds at rest, and garnering a round of applause, he said: “Nationalisation is not our policy. It is as clear as that. Our policy is a mixed economy.”Of potential, he said Africa was one of the fastest growing regions in the world, and we should invest in that potential. “South Africa has the potential to grow. Working together, we can take advantage of Africa, the Brics countries and the changing economy. Invest in this country; invest in your future.”Brief questionsAsked what keeps him awake at night, the president answered: the plight of the poor. “I am kept awake thinking of ways to alleviate their plight.”He pointed to South Africa’s strategic global importance in regards to shipping, saying it did nothing in its waters for its economy, despite the shipping lanes that passed the country. There were massive opportunities in this sector.Of toll roads, another hot potato, he said they were necessary for road maintenance. However, the issue was not closed. South Africa was unusual in that the government was open to discussion of ideas and policies it had put forward.In answer to a question from the floor, the president said fronting in business – whereby companies use black people as figureheads to up their black economic empowerment ratings – would be punished. The details of what that punishment would be still had to be worked out, though. The law must come first, he said, and the details would come after.Of small towns, their factories and rural areas, he said the government was talking of reviving the economy and development of those regions as part of its plan.Asked about what was being done to stop farm murders, he pointed out that as crime was falling, so were farm murders. The police were working with farmers to stop this crime.The police were also working hard to address the issue of piracy. Many raids had already been carried out.Regarding service delivery, the government had delivered to some degree, but there were still challenges. There was electricity and water available where there had been none before. “The question of infrastructure remains a challenge.”The Italian ambassador offered his country’s and Europe’s help – we could share experiences, promote investments and help you avoid the mistakes we made in industrial policy and job creation, he said, to which Zuma replied that South Africa was certainly keen to learn what went wrong, and what would happen to alleviate the present economic crisis.Questioned about land reform, Zuma again spoke of the Green Paper on Land Reform he had mentioned in his SONA. “We are looking at those issues,” he said. “The fact is that lots of land was taken away and many people were left landless. We can’t let this continue. We need frank views from South Africans on how to solve land issues.”
The Ahmednagar Municipal Corporation on Monday relieved Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader and the AMC’s deputy mayor Shripad Chhindam from his post for his alleged derogatory remarks against Chhatrapati Shivaji just before the ‘Shiv Jayanti’ celebrations recently.In a unanimous resolution passed by all parties within the AMC, the civic body has further demanded that a case of sedition under the Indian Penal Code (IPC) be lodged against Mr. Chhindam, who is now in judicial custody. He was suspended from the party soon after his controversial remarks came to light on February 16. On mondya he was officially stripped of his corporator’s post through the resolution passed at a special AMC session.An audio clip of a conversation between Mr. Chhindam and a PWD contractor went viral on social media three days before Shiv Jayanti celebrations on February 19.In the clip, the BJP corporator is heard talking abusively about Chhatrapati Shivaji and his birth celebrations which werer ostensibly hampering the completion of works in his ward.Mr. Chhindam’s remarks prompted a storm of protest in Ahmednagar and resulted in acts of vandalism by activists of the pro-Maratha Sambhaji Brigade, and Shiv Sena and Nationalist Congress Party (NCP). A case was lodged against Mr. Chhindam on the evening of February 16.