A 29 year old Polish man who has been living in Buncrana for a number of years is to appear before the courts this morning in connection with the robbery on Cullen’s Petrol station on Monday night.The man is expected to come before Buncrana District Court shortly after 10.30pm.He was arrested late on Tuesday night. A quantity of cash and a large knife was found during the Garda investigation last night.Staff at Cullens on the Cockhill Road were left shaken after a man entered the premises on Monday night and demanded cash at knifepoint.MAN TO APPEAR IN COURT THIS MORNING IN CONNECTION WITH BUNCRANA ROBBERY was last modified: February 14th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Buncrana District CourtCullen’s Shoprobbery
A 31-year-old man Lifford man has been refused bail after appearing in court charged with a firearm offence following an incident at a bar in Claudy at the weekend.Leon Kelly, of Beechwood Drive, appeared at Derry Magistrates’ Court today. The BBC has reported that police had responded to an “ongoing disturbance” at the Beaufort House Hotel at about 10pm on Saturday.It was alleged that Mr Kelly injured people, including security staff.The defendant is also accused of damaging a 200-year-old mirror which was described as “irreplaceable”.Police found Mr Kelly at a caravan park at about 02:00 where he was seen holding a gun after officers entered a caravan.He threw the weapon down after being ordered to by police.A police officer told the court that the defendant said during interview that it had been his intention for police to shoot him.The charges included assault occasioning actual bodily harm, disorderly behaviour and possession of a firearm, namely a rifle, in suspicious circumstances.Mr Kelly was remanded in custody until 19 September.Donegal man remanded after being found with gun in hotel was last modified: August 29th, 2019 by Staff WriterShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
Arjen Robben recently announced he is leaving Bayern Munich when his contract ends at the end of the season. Now, the Dutchman is considering retiring by June.Arjen Robben, 34, confirmed to Kicker that he will leave Bayern Munich at the end of the season. With his 35th birthday coming up in January, he feels like it’s the right choice.“Of course it’s a big step, which you don’t just make in one day,” he told Kicker.“I thought about it a lot, and it feels good that it’s now out, also for the fans and the club.“It was the right point in time.”Robben could make his return to the pitch when Bayern take on Ajax in the Champions League on Wednesday. He missed the last couple of games with a thigh injury.Both Bayern and Ajax are already through to the next round, and the German giants only need a draw in Amsterdam to win Group E.Despite scoring two amazing goals two weeks ago when Bayern demolished Benfica 5-1, Arjen Robben says now is the perfect time to leave the club.Merson believes Arsenal should sign Sancho Manuel R. Medina – September 14, 2019 Borussia Dortmund winger Jadon Sancho might be the perfect player to play for the Gunners, according to former England international Paul Merson.“The game against Benfica was a nice confirmation that I can play at the highest level.“On the other side, the club wants to change the face of the team, and I want to prepare my future.“I am simply happy and grateful that there is clarity for both parties.”Robben added that he has no plans for when the season ends and is even thinking about leaving the game for good.“That’s not entirely clear, perhaps I will stop playing – it’s about waiting and seeing what possibilities there are,” he said.“If offers come in, I’ll really consider them 100 percent, and if it’s something nice, I’ll play on, but if no ideal offers come, then that could be it.“I have three children, and they also must be happy, so it’s not just about offers from China or places in the desert.“The family plays a very important role in every decision of mine.”
Categories: Health, Local San Diego News Tags: Hepatitis A FacebookTwitter SAN DIEGO (KUSI) — The County Board of Supervisors Tuesday extended an emergency declaration over the hepatitis A outbreak, which officials expect may be lifted by February amid a declining number of cases.County health officials today reported a total of 571 hepatitis A cases linked to the outbreak, the start of which was traced back to about one year ago. That’s four more cases than cited in a report issued Dec. 5.The rate of new reported infections has slowed to about two or three per week, a figure that has declined since the outbreak peaked in the first week of September, said Dr. Eric McDonald, the county’s deputy public health officer.There have been no additional deaths reported since the end of October. Of those sickened by the disease, which attacks the liver, 20 have died in the last year.The county should begin to consider what the “status quo” looks like moving forward and consider lifting the emergency declaration at the end of January, county Chief Administrative Officer Helen Robbins-Meyer said.The county has administered over 113,000 vaccinations. Despite that and the declining number of cases, it’s important that at-risk populations continue to be vaccinated and the county continue its prevention and education efforts, public health officer Dr. Wilma Wooten said.“What we can say confidently is, the recommended populations that should be vaccinated, many of them are not,” she said.People at a higher risk of contracting the disease include users of illicit drugs and men who have sex with men. The LGBT population has not been hit hard by the outbreak here, but there have been cases in that group as part of an outbreak in Michigan.Hepatitis A is usually transmitted by touching objects or eating food that someone with the virus has handled or by having sex with an infected person. The disease doesn’t always cause symptoms but can cause fever, fatigue, nausea, loss of appetite, yellowing of the eyes, stomach pain, vomiting, dark urine, pale stools and diarrhea, according to the HHSA. KUSI Newsroom, KUSI Newsroom Board extends Hepatitis A state of emergency, estimates declaration will be lifted by February Posted: December 19, 2017 December 19, 2017
WILMINGTON, MA — Below is an op-ed submitted by State Rep. Candidate Dave Robertson (D-Tewksbury):Over the last few days there has been great media coverage of a long-time issue here in Massachusetts; the release of repeatedly violent criminals who have continued to live a life of crime. Most recently, Judge Tim Feeley released Manuel Soto-Vittini, a longtime heroin dealer, by claiming his crimes were financially based, as if it was similar to providing bread to his family. This, of course, ignores all those who potentially overdosed or had their lives destroyed by Soto-Vittini’s poison. Only a few weeks before Massachusetts lost one of its finest, Officer Sean Gannon. This was by a criminal who started dealing drugs and robbing individuals as a teenager, and deserves no mention by name. I could continue listing heartbreaking issues such as these, but it would take up far too much space. What is apparent is the system needs to be examined.Over the next few weeks you’ll likely hear a pitch that sounds good, and appears to be a silver bullet when it comes to oversight on judges ruling. This, of course, is directly elected judges. There are many aspects of this touted to be better, such as accountability to the general public, which Massachusetts currently lacks. However, when one looks closer at this issue, many issues and flaws with this suggestion also come to late. In fact, elected judges were first brought to the ballot early last century to increased judicial independence, striking down more laws than many who preceded them and upholding criminal accountability by following the rule of law, rather than letting certain folks off due to political patronage. Over the past century, this system has completely reversed itself and when measured, has become more corrupt than appointed judges.Professor Jed Shugerman, a graduate of the top-ranked Yale Law School and now a professor at Fordham, did a terrific in-depth study of elected judges that eventually he published into a book. Through his research he found out that since elected judges must appeal to contributors, judicial rulings become compromised when certain favorable parties appear before the bench. In addition, elected judges have a much higher percentage of their rulings overturned by superior courts, showing that elected judicial authorities choose the correct ruling at rates below those of an appointed counterpart. This research has been since confirmed by Emory University, NYU, and the non-partisan Constitution Center. In Michigan, a battleground state with an even split among Democrats and Republicans, over 13 million dollars was contributed to judge campaigns. With that sort of money floating around, how can justice be fair from either side?So what can we do to clean up our act here in Massachusetts? Long-time, Reagan-appointed Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day-O’Connor actually has a brilliant, common-sense solution. First appoint, like Massachusetts does, then wait and let the judge work. After a certain term, Justice Day-O’Connor suggests, have voters elect these judges back to power if they are doing a good job in the eyes of the public. This hybrid plan is ingenious for several reasons. Political appointments are often more-vetted and experienced, guaranteeing a higher quality of judgeship that elected states fail to maintain. In addition, the removal of any ballot races aside from accountability removes the potential corruption that money donated to judges would otherwise risk. When a judges term is up, say every 7 years as suggest by Justice Day-O’Connor, voters face a simple choice based on the judge’s track record and no more. There are no competitors and no need to raise money, it’s time to send them back to the bench or for the Governor and their council to pick a new appointee.This balanced, while sensible, approach would bring to Massachusetts what we in the state need; accountability. In addition to allowing us regular folks to hold those in government accountable, it preserves the higher quality of rulings that the majority of judges, who tend to do a good job overall, bring to the courts. In addition, it insulates us from potential corruption that many elected judges show, and ensures that in several years we won’t be reading about an elected judge because they let off the relative of their largest donor, who actually was “only selling heroin to get by.”Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email email@example.com.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedSTATE REP RACE: Tewksbury Republican Committee Attack Robertson Over Wilmington Democratic Committee Chair’s StatementIn “Government”ALL POLITICS ARE LOCAL: Robertson & Gordon Endorse Ed Markey With Possible Kennedy Showdown LoomingIn “Government”STATE REP RACE: Prinzivalli Campaign Declares Debate Victory; Knocks Robertson On Dandi-Lyons & Sanctuary StateIn “Government”
State Bank of India (SBI) shares were trading with gains of 1.58 percent at Rs 280 at around 1.19 pm on the BSE in response to the state-run lender posting 134 percent spike YoY in December quarter (Q3) standalone net profit to Rs 2,610 crore. The sharp increase was on account of higher other income and interest on deposits with the RBI and other lenders.Read: SBI may raise up to Rs 15,000 crore in next 18 months from capital markets, SBI Life IPOOther income rose 58 percent to Rs 9,662 crore on account of the bank selling 3.9 percent stake in its subsidiary SBI Life Insurance Company for Rs 1,755 crore. SBI’s holding as a result, now stands at 70.10 percent in the subsidiary. The bank’s gross non-performing assets (NPAs) and net NPAs stood at 7.23 percent and 4.24 percent, respectively, in Q3, marking an increase from 5.10 percent and 2.89 percent in the corresponding quarter last financial year. In the September quarter (Q2), the gross and net NPAs stood at 7.14 percent and 4.19 percent, respectively.Net interest income (NII) rose 7.69 percent to Rs 14,751 crore in Q3 as against Rs 13,697 crore in the year-ago period.Tota income was Rs 53,587 crore in Q3 as against Rs 46,731 crore in December 2015 quarter.SBI is the biggest lender in India and accounts for about a fourth of bank deposits and loans. Deposits spiked due to people returning the demonetised notes and stood at Rs 20,40,777 crore as of December 31, 2016 as against Rs 18,58,999 crore as of September 30, 2016.The BSE Sensex was trading 20 points higher at 28,349, led by Adani Ports, NTPC and TCS.
Among top gainers on the Sensex were Yes Bank, up 6.16 per cent, followed by HDFC, Bajaj Finance and Larsen and Toubro.INDRANIL MUKHERJEE/AFP/Getty ImagesBoth the key market indices — Sensex and Nifty — on Monday, August 26, surged over 2 per cent led by gains made by public sector banks (PSBs) and financial sector stocks, following a slew of measures announced by Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman last week.At 2.35 pm on Monday, the Sensex jumped over 793 points to 37,463.90, while the Nifty traded 216.95 points higher to top the 11,000-point mark at 11,046.30.The Nifty PSB index and financial services company stocks surged over 3 per cent, while metal scrips continued to trade in the red. The Finance Minister on Friday announced the capital infusion of Rs 70,000 crore in PSBs.The most crucial announcement was the roll-back of the tax surcharge on foreign portfolio investors (FPIs), which is aiding the market rally on Monday.Among top gainers on the Sensex were Yes Bank, up 6.16 per cent, followed by HDFC, Bajaj Finance and Larsen and Toubro.Tata Steel, SunPharma, Vedanta, HeroMotoCorp and Tata Motors DVR lost in the 1 to 3 per cent range.Thirty-nine stocks of the NSE index’s 50 constituents finished the day in positive territory.
The United States on Thursday imposed sanctions on five Russians over abuses including the killing of a prominent opposition leader, days after top-level talks seemed to ease tensions between the powers.The State Department highlighted the actions against the five people, plus one entity, as it submitted an annual report required by Congress on actions taken under a law over human rights in Russia.The law, which blocks any US assets of blacklisted people and bars them from traveling to the United States, is named after Sergei Magnitsky, an anti-corruption accountant who died in custody in 2009.Among the five newly blacklisted figures are Ruslan Geremeyev, an interior ministry official in the restive North Caucasus region of Chechnya who is close to its leader Ramzan Kadyrov.On his Telegram account, Kadyrov said the sanctions, were “clear proof that the United States is afraid of us.”Geremeyev has faced accusations of involvement in the 2015 killing in central Moscow of Boris Nemtsov, a former deputy prime minister turned leading critic of President Vladimir Putin.The US Treasury Department said Russian investigators twice tried but were blocked from bringing charges against Geremeyev as the possible organizer of the killing of Nemtsov — the most high-profile death of a dissident since Putin rose to power two decades ago.The United States also slapped sanctions on two Russian investigators, Elena Anatolievna Trikulya and Gennady Vyacheslavovich Karlov, for allegedly concealing facts over the death and detention of Magnitsky, the accountant.”Nearly 10 years after his death, we remain concerned by the impunity for this and other violent crimes against activists, journalists, whistleblowers and political opposition,” State Department spokeswoman Morgan Ortagus said in a statement.She also voiced concern about “the intense atmosphere of intimidation for those who work to uncover corruption or human rights violations in the Russian Federation.”In response, the Russian embassy in Washington said: “These moves will be followed by reciprocal measures.””Moreover these unconstructive decisions clearly run counter to a positive outlook of the recent Russia-US talks in Sochi,” it said in a statement.The sanctions came just two days after Secretary of State Mike Pompeo met Putin in the Russian resort of Sochi, with both sides voicing optimism at finding areas on which to work together.Pompeo said he still had deep disagreements with Putin but believed the two powers could cooperate on issues including finding a political settlement in war-ravaged Syria and seeking a denuclearization deal with North Korea.Also hit with sanctions were the Terek Special Rapid Response Team in Chechnya and its commander, Abuzayed Vismuradov.The Treasury Department said that the force had engaged in extrajudicial killings and torture, including in a crackdown on gay men that has drawn international condemnation.