Govt to upgrade road from Belfield to Rosignol

first_imgResidents along the roadway from Belfield, East Coast Demerara to Rosignol, West Coast Berbice (WCD) can now look forward to improved road access with Government’s announced plan to upgrade the roadway.“We have just recently received technical assistance from the Kuwait Fund for Arab Economic Development to do the study of a continuation of the widening of the road on the East Coast from Belfield to Rosignol,” Finance Minister Winston Jordon disclosed on Friday, while making the remarks at an event.According to Minister Jordan, this and other infrastructural projects undertaken by Government will strengthen the infrastructure network, which is critical for reducing the cost as it relates to production and export.This new project will be a continuation of the East Coast Road Widening and Expansion Project currently ongoing.The US$50.2 million project has two components: a four-lane expansion from Better Hope to Annandale, and an upgrade to the existing two-lane road from Annandale to Belfield.The project is being funded by a US$45.3 million concessional loan from the China Export-Import Bank.Earlier this week, Public Infrastructure Minister David Patterson told <> that the project is expected to be completed by September. He noted that some 60 per cent of the work has been completed, and the other 40 per cent will take shape in the coming months.The project commenced under the People’s Progressive Party/Civic (PPP/C) Government, which had tried to secure financing for the road expansion project, but the money was not readily available. The then administration decided to use local funds for preliminary works while it awaited the release of funds from the Chinese to complete the works. The preliminary works for the four-lane upgrade were completed at the end of 2014.The load agreement was subsequently signed back in 2016 by Minister Jordan.With the China EXIM Bank putting up most of the finances for the road expansion, Guyana had awarded the contract to China Railway First Group, costing some US$42.7 million. The Chinese construction company reportedly put in the lowest bid of US$46.994 million. The PPP/C Administration had stated that it was saving some $2.8 billion by giving the contract to China Railway First Group.Upon completion of the widening and improvement of the East Coast Demerara Highway, citizens travelling along the East Coast will benefit from reduced travel time and less traffic congestion. Apart from the road being expanded, the project includes improved drainage for the East Coast, which is usually susceptible to flooding.last_img

Post Your Comment Here

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *