WINNIPEG – Former United States president Jimmy Carter was taken to hospital Thursday after he became dehydrated while volunteering with Habitat for Humanity, an international home-building charity he has supported for decades.Carter, 92, was helping with a project in Winnipeg and was building a set of stairs along with other volunteers when he began to feel weak after two hours in the sun.“He had just said that he needed to take a break and so he sat down — there was a chair that was close to him,” said Manitoba Families Minister Scott Fielding, one of the volunteers.“He sat down there and his secret security were there as well. They hydrated him, giving him some water and some Gatorade.”Carter required assistance to walk to a nearby trailer and was taken soon afterward by ambulance across town to St. Boniface General Hospital.“We were out in the hot sun, and you’re doing a lot of work. No matter what age you are, you’re going to get dehydrated,” Fielding said.The chief executive officer of Habitat for Humanity International said Carter received medical attention as a precaution, but was fine.“He has been taken off-site for observation. He encourages everyone to stay hydrated and to keep building,” Jonathan Reckford said.Carter was in Edmonton earlier this week helping Habitat For Humanity, which builds affordable housing for low-income earners.Carter served as U.S. president from 1977 to 1981. He was diagnosed with melanoma in 2015 and was treated with an immunotherapy drug. He said months later medical scans no longer showed any cancer.His wife, Rosalynn, was with him at the project Thursday and by his side at the hospital. The St. Boniface General Hospital Research Foundation gave its annual International Award to her in 1979 when she was first lady. The award, which pays tribute to medical and humanitarian efforts, has in other years been given to people such as Mother Teresa and basketball star Steve Nash.In an interview with The Canadian Press earlier this week, the former president said that Canadian governments should consider emulating the non-profit group he has promoted for years as a way to alleviate an affordable housing crunch in this country.He pointed out that other countries such as Peru have adopted similar models to help build more affordable housing units and reduce reliance on the social safety net.He acknowledged the housing challenge remains a difficult one to tackle for policy-makers and volunteers.“What the local, state and federal government do, and what volunteers like we do … makes a big dent in the need, but it’s still not enough,” he said.Habitat for Humanity is building 150 homes across Canada this year to mark the country’s sesquicentennial.Note to readers: This is a corrected story. An earlier version had Mother Teresa spelling incorrectly
Brittany Hobson APTN NewsFor the first time in 28 years Rita Thomas shared the story of her sister Marina Spence who went missing from Thompson in August 1990.“I knew something was wrong. My heart just hurt,” Thomas told Commissioner Michele Audette during hearings for the National Inquiry into Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls in Thompson, Man. on Tuesday evening.Thomas shared her sister’s story now in hopes of getting justice for her family.Child and family services apprehended Thomas and her five siblings, including Spence, from their home community of South Indian Lake, approximately 400 kilometres north of Thompson, after their mother died in 1990.Thomas and Spence were placed in separate homes in Thompson, but the two still remained in contact.Spence, 17, was in care when she went missing.“I know for a fact that CFS failed my family,” said Thomas.One night in August 1990 the sisters went out drinking. Thomas doesn’t remember what happened that night. All she can remember is waking up in a jail cell by herself. When she asked police where Spence was they told her she was the only one sent to the drunk tank.Thomas returned to her foster home and continued to ask her caseworker where Spence was. The only information her caseworker gave her was that Spence had gone to the town of Leaf Rapids, approximately 200 kilometres north of Thompson.After a few days of not hearing from Spence, Thomas decided to report her missing to the RCMP. When she arrived at the station an officer wouldn’t let her in the building.“I went to the station and reported my sister missing through the intercom,” said Thomas. “After I reported her missing through the intercom they got a statement off me. That was it.”Thomas said the next time police followed up with her was 11 years later when some of Spence’s remains were found near the Burntwood Bridge in Thompson. Police identified the remains through dental records.The news destroyed Thomas who was already dealing with drug and alcohol addiction at the time.“I wasn’t there to be a voice for her because I was busy drinking,” Thomas said tearfully during testimony. “Not caring about anything. Not caring about myself. My children.”Thomas said she still doesn’t know what happened to her sister.APTN News asked the RCMP for information related to Spence’s case. They were unable to provide a response by deadline.Thomas believes if child and family services allowed Spence to stay in the community with their grandmother she would still be alive.“My granny was more than capable of looking after us,” said said.“Hearing about Marina’s death broke her heart.”Debra Merasty is a family friend. She sat with Thomas during testimony Tuesday. She said there need to be more supports for guardians when kids are apprehended.“We should have these supports at a community level,” she said.She said without people to help guardians they are often left with little support or information on how to get back their kids.In the meantime, speaking out for the first time has finally given Thomas a chance to move forward.“I’m just ready to heal. That’s what I’m going to do for myself,” she [email protected]
Team Great Britain’s 4x400m relay team disqualified!! Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, 31 Aug 2015 – Delano Williams is now a bronze medalist as a senior athlete after competing this weekend in the IAAF World Championships in the 4x400m relay on Team Great Britain. Williams, who hails from Grand Turk, helped his team qualify by running a brilliant second leg in the heats, and then doing it again – superbly – in the finals for the medal. The 4x400m which was the last race of the games actually sets up Team GB for a highly anticipated showing in the 2016 Summer Olympics set for Brazil; if the crew remains intact and can repeat this Sunday’s performance, the Turks and Caicos could be looking at Delano becoming the first islander to earn Olympic hardware. Youth and Sports Minister, Deputy Premier Akierra Missick said: “I wish to extend warm congratulations to TCI’s golden boy Delano Williams on that amazing performance at the 2015 IAAF World Championships… You are representing team Great Britain, but have done the Turks and Caicos proud during these games.” The Minister congratulated each team member for a strong showing, and added that: “This is a great day for The Turks and Caicos Islands and we stand proud and salute our son of the soil.” Delano posted this: “Talent wins games but teamwork and intelligence wins championships” It was a pleasure and a whole lot of fun working with these fellows for GB 4x400m.” The team, including Rabah Yousif, Jarryd Dunn and Martyn Rooney ran in a time of 2:58:51 to follow the USA with first and Trinidad and Tobago, who earned second and the silver medal in the event. Related Items:bronze medal, delano williams, Deputy Premier Akierra Missick, team UK The Nation will stand still to watch the country’s first Olympian Delano Williams return home postponed due to weather Recommended for you Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp
Dan Cohen AUTHOR House leaders are scheduled today to unveil a fiscal 2017 budget resolution that retains the higher discretionary spending levels afforded by last October’s two-year budget deal.To offset the $30 billion in additional discretionary spending passed by Congress last year, the House GOP will look for savings from mandatory spending programs over the next two years. Those cuts, needed to secure the support of the House Republican conference’s conservative members, most likely would be advanced through separate legislation. The budget blueprint would require the House to enact a total of $100 billion in cuts over 10 years, reported CQ Roll Call.Thursday’s meeting of the conference will help party leaders determine if they have sufficient support to pass a budget on the floor.It is not entirely clear how the draft budget resolution will deal with the contentious issue of DOD’s overseas contingency operations (OCO) account. The GOP framework is expected to recommend $59 billion in spending for the war account, matching last year’s budget deal. But the resolution would clarify that the figure is a floor, as defense hawks have insisted, and that more funding could be added to the OCO account in the defense spending bill, according to the story.The budget resolution allows for $551 billion in national security spending in FY 2017, the same as called for in the October budget agreement.
A store recently launched its heritage bridal collection at a star property in central Delhi. The fash frat attended the fashion show over high tea. We saw Narendra Kumar, Poonam Bhagat, publisher Archana Pillai, Kavita Bhartia, Aki Narula, Fleur Xavier, Deepika Jindal and Anisha Munjal among others. Take a look