August 3, 2018 /Sports News – Local Bees Blank I-Cubs Robert Lovell Written by FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmail(Des Moines, IA) — Five pitchers combined on a three-hit shutout as the Bees blanked the I-Cubs 2-0 in Des Moines.Tyler Stevens worked three innings to earn the win. Alberto Triunfel and Jared Walsh homered to provide the offense for Salt Lake. Tags: Baseball/PCL/Salt Lake Bees
Learn two methods of plant propagation on “Your Southern Garden” with Walter Reeves June25 at noon and 6:30 p.m. on Georgia Public Broadcasting. There is a real science to breeding beautiful orchids. Host Reeves visits Kerry Herndon, an orchid expert in Homestead, Fla., to find out how he breeds some of the most beautiful orchids in the world in his high-tech tissue culture lab. Then Reeves goes low-tech to teach a simple way to multiply hydrangeas using plastic wrap and aluminum foil.”Your Southern Garden,” produced by the University of Georgia College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences and University of Florida IFAS Extension, is a one-of-a-kind program specifically for the Southeast. The program is made possible by sponsorship from the Alabama Cooperative Extension System and Clemson Cooperative Extension.Watch “Your Southern Garden” on select public TV stations in Alabama, South Carolina and Florida. Check local listings for details.
WASHINGTON, D.C. – The Office of Foreign Assets Control of the U.S. Department of the Treasury boosted its efforts to cut off financing for Mexico’s notorious Sinaloa drug cartel, adding on March 6 kingpin Ismael Zambada García’s brother to its official sanctions list. Jesús Reynaldo Zambada controlled a drug trafficking route via Mexico City’s international airport “on behalf of his brother,” one of the two top figures in the violent Sinaloa group, the Treasury said. Jesús Reynaldo Zambada was arrested in 2008 in Mexico and is awaiting extradition to the United States. The sanctions, established under the Foreign Narcotics Kingpin Designation Act, freeze any assets of Zambada held by U.S. entities and make it illegal for any U.S. entity or citizen to conduct financial or commercial transactions with him. The Treasury also placed such sanctions on two companies in Mexico linked to the Zambadas, an agricultural business and a clothing retailer, both located in Culiacán, capital of the state of Sinaloa. The Treasury “continues to target Ismael Zambada García and his drug trafficking and money laundering network to cripple their influence and deny them access to the U.S. financial system,” said Adam Szubin, head of the Office of Foreign Assets Control. [AFP, 06/03/2012; Treasury.gov, 06/03/2012] By Dialogo March 07, 2012
Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York Freshman Nassau County Legis. Ellen Birnbaum (D-Great Neck) has been expelled from the Democratic caucus after allegations surfaced that she made racially insensitive remarks about a minority community within earshot of a black fellow lawmaker’s aide last month.Minority Leader Kevan Abrahams (D-Freeport) said that learned from three aides that Birnbaum purportedly made “derogatory statements in reference to black people,” though no racial slurs were used. The comments, which he called “insensitive, [and] do not reflect the position not just of the Democratic caucus and party but the people of Nassau County,” were directed at the New Cassel community.“Let’s make this very clear and very concise,” Abrahams told reporters during a press conference Friday in Mineola. “Legislator Birnbaum is banned from the minority caucus and the Democratic caucus.”Birnbaum allegedly implied that the hamlet is “bad neighborhood” because African Americans live there, Abrahams said. After “hours and hours” of investigating the remarks, Abrahams said he felt comfortable with his decision. No recording of the remarks exist, Abrahams noted.Abrahams, who is also running for Congress, said that he decided to isolate her from the rest of the party after she refused to resign following a caucus meeting Thursday night.When asked if Birnbaum denies making inappropriate comments toward African Americans, Abrahams responded, “I couldn’t tell you.”“I’ve had many conversations with Legislator Birnbaum,” he added. “Obviously her recollection is different than what the three people have represented to me. However, last night we had a legislative caucus meeting and gave her the opportunity to again make her case…but I truly believe after speaking to these staff members that again it is very clear on what was implied.”The comments were purportedly made on April 30, after Newsday reported three days earlier that revenue at the Yes We Can Community Center in Westbury came in below expectations.Abrahams, who has the authority to appoint legislators to specific committees, also stripped Birnbaum of all committee assignments. Birnbaum, who was elected in November and officially took office in January, served on several committees, including: Gov’t Services & Operations, Finance, Veterans & Senior Affairs, Towns, Villages and Cities, and Planning Development & the Environment.Birnbaum’s expulsion essentially makes her an outsider in her own party.She will neither be able to attend any committee or caucus meetings, nor will she have access to senior staff members or the party’s communications office. She can, however, participate in the monthly meetings of the legislature, though it’s unclear if she will attend the next one scheduled for Monday.Minority Leader Kevan Abrahams (D-Freeport) during a press conference on Friday, May 16, in which announced his decision to expel Legis. Elln Birnbaum (D-Great Neck) following allegations of racially-insensitive remarks. (Rashed Mian/Long Island Press)Abrahams also noted that one of Birnbaum’s aides has requested to be relocated to another office, which he obliged. One aide will still work in her office to handle constituency services, which is obligated by the county charter.Her district includes Great Neck, Herricks, North Hills, North New Hyde Park and Searingtown/Albertson.Birnbaum was not available for comment. She has since apologized, Abrahams said.Abrahams also announced that he has invited Syosset-based ERASE Racism, a nonprofit racial equality advocacy group, to visit the legislature to conduct sensitivity training.Although he attended the press conference alone, Abrahams appears to have the backing of all six of his fellow Democrats in the Legislature, except for one, according to Nassau Democratic Party Chairman Jay Jacobs, who did not identify who that may be. Republicans hold an 11-8 edge in the Legislature.Jacobs first learned about the remarks Wednesday and on Thursday he called for Birnbaum to resign. Some Democrats expressed hesitation with the prospect of publicly calling for her ouster, he added.Jacobs called Birnbaum Thursday morning and said he “came away with the sense that there was enough there.”Still, he said, “I don’t believe they are reflective of her views.”If the mounting pressure does, indeed, prove too much for Birnbaum, and she does resign, then either Nassau County Executive Ed Mangano would have to set a date for a special election or the seat could remain vacant until November’s general election.
President Obama selected NCUA Vice Chairman Rick Metsger as the NCUA board’s new chairman Monday. He replaces Debbie Matz, who left her position at the end of April.Metsger joined the NCUA board in August 2013 and was elected vice chairman in September 2014.Although Metsger was selected as vice chairman, the NCUA board remains in a state of flux. Obama has not yet nominated a new member of the board. In addition, the president nominated NCUA board member Mark McWatters to serve on the board of the Export-Import Bank. continue reading » 1SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr
To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters
Iran has confirmed three new coronavirus cases following the deaths of two elderly men, the health ministry told AFP on Thursday, as Iraq banned travel to and from its neighbor.The pair who died were elderly Iranian citizens and residents of the city of Qom. They were the first confirmed deaths from the COVID-19 virus in the Middle East.Health ministry spokesman Kianush Jahanpour said two of the new cases were also in Qom and the other was in Arak, south of the holy city. “In total there were five cases… of which two have been fatal,” he said.Qom is a center for Islamic studies and tourists, attracting scholars from Iran and beyond. However, a government official said the deceased men had not left Iran.Following the announcement of the deaths, Iraq on Thursday clamped down on travel to and from the Islamic republic, with Iraq’s health ministry announcing people in Iran were barred from entering the country “until further notice”.”Iranians are prohibited from entering [Iraq],” a senior official told AFP, adding that border crossings with Iran had been closed, with only returning Iraqis allowed to pass through. Those Iraqis would be examined and, if necessary, placed in quarantine for 14 days, the health ministry said.Iraqi nationals are also not allowed to travel to Iran, according to the ministry.The border closure followed a backlash against a Wednesday announcement of visa waivers for Iranian nationals wishing to travel to Iraq.Iraqis took to social media using the hashtag “close the border” and local officials called for a ban on the entry of goods and people through various border crossings with the Islamic republic.Iraqi airports are already screening travellers for the virus and national carrier Iraqi Airways has suspended flights to Iran. Each year, millions of Iranian pilgrims visit holy Shiite sites in Iraq, providing the Iraqi state with significant revenue.Earlier Thursday, Iran’s government spokesman Ali Rabiei said Tehran would set up a top-level body of government and defense officials to fight the virus’ spread, according to state news agency IRNA.”We, however, need global action (by authorities) and the cooperation of all citizens,” Rabiei said on Twitter.In Kuwait, national carrier Kuwait Airways announced Thursday it would suspend all flights to Iran, while its ports will also be closed to passengers travelling to and from the country. Kuwaitis were advised not to travel to Qom, and were warned anyone arriving from the city they would be quarantined.’Hid the truth’The deaths in Iran were reported by local media on Wednesday, just hours after Tehran said there were two cases in the country.On social media, several people accused the government of keeping silent to prevent panic ahead of Friday’s parliamentary elections.”Just four hours separated the announcement that two compatriots were infected… and their deaths,” journalist Javad Heydarian tweeted.”This signifies that the virus had been around for some days but they hid the truth.”Public confidence in government pronouncements has plummeted since the downing of a Ukrainian passenger plane on January 8 that killed 176 people.The government initially denied responsibility, but later admitted the plane had been fired on due to “human error” and blamed a jittery missile operator.The culture ministry has asked local media to only publish official information from government officials and denounced what it claimed was a proliferation of fake news on social media regarding the virus.Since December, the novel coronavirus has killed more than 2,200 people in China, the epicenter of the epidemic.Elsewhere in the world, the virus has killed 11 people and spread across some 25 countries. Topics :
Video Settings Top articles Metro Sport ReporterFriday 12 Jun 2020 11:21 amShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link349Shares Paul Merson believes Arsenal will struggle playing with no fans in attendance (Sky/Getty)Paul Merson believes Arsenal will struggle to perform in front of no fans and has criticised David Luiz after his error in the defeat to Brentford this week.Mikel Arteta’s side will resume their Premier League campaign next Wednesday as they face Manchester City at the Etihad Stadium.But the Gunners looked off the pace during a friendly against Brentford on Wednesday as they were beaten 3-2 by the Championship club at the Emirates Stadium.Luiz and Alexandre Lacazette were both responsible for errors which led to two of Brentford’s goals during the friendly.ADVERTISEMENT Rio Ferdinand tells Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop struggling ‘And I worry about them playing behind closed doors.‘The one thing that when you’re a defender and not a great defender, and there’s a few of them at Arsenal who are not top-drawer defenders, I think the fans keep you honest.‘And I mean that in way where they keep your concentration levels. As defenders, you need the fans there where you’re always going to concentrate.More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man City‘I saw one of the goals against Brentford and David Luiz tried to play up and flick it over his shoulder and over the lad’s head, and that’s not being honest.‘The fans keep you honest and I think with Arsenal it’s going to be a little bit of a problem defensively because I think they will switch off.‘Behind closed doors, no crowd, I think they’ll switch off and there will be mistake after mistake and I think it will be a problem for Arsenal.’Follow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. For more stories like this, check our sport page. SPONSORED Read More PLAY Manchester United captain Harry Maguire Full Screen Skip Paul Merson fires warning to Arsenal after their friendly defeat to Brentford Read More by Metro Visit Advertiser website GO TO PAGE Read More 1 min. story Read More Read More About Connatix V67539 Coming Next Comment 1/1 Skip Ad And Merson believes Arsenal’s defenders will lack concentration if there are no supporters there to ‘keep them honest’.AdvertisementAdvertisement‘I worry for Arsenal, I watched their goals that they let in against Brentford,’ Merson told Sky Sports. / Advertisement Advertisement
He said a recent PLSA survey showed 76% of people with a workplace pension agreed the standards would help them know if they were on track for the lifestyle they wanted in retirement. “The PLSA looks forward to widespread adoption of the Retirement Living Standards to transform the way people think about saving for spending in later life” Nigel Peaple, PLSA “The PLSA looks forward to working closely with the pensions industry to ensure widespread adoption of the Retirement Living Standards to transform the way people think about saving for spending in later life,” Peaple said.The standards set out three levels of wealth in retirement – minimum, moderate and comfortable – based on a basket of goods and services, from food and drink to holidays. The PLSA said they could be summed up as 10k-20k-30k for individuals and 15k-30k-45k for couples.The association said it would try to ensure the pensions sector and the government adopted the new illustrative framework to help more people plan effectively for retirement, adding that it was working with the Money and Pensions Service to include them in their tools, such as the Money Advice Service pension calculator.Consultancy Hymans Robertson said it had supported the development of the standards and signed up as an “early adopter”.Michael Ambery, the firm’s head of defined contribution (DC) provider relations, described the launch of the standards as “great news for the industry and for retirement aspirations across the country”.“Pensions can be complex, so many people find it hard to know if they are saving enough to be able to retire, or reduce their working hours, when they’d like,” he said.“Let’s hope that this is a lightbulb moment for pension savings” Laura Myers, head of DC at consultancy LCPMeanwhile Laura Myers, head of DC at consultancy LCP, said the standards would give people more clarity and tangible savings goals based on up-to-date research and numbers.“Let’s hope that this is a lightbulb moment for pension savings,” she said. “For millions of savers, the ability to know if they are on track with pension saving for the retirement they want is now going to be so much simpler.”Separately, Gregg McClymont, director of policy at multi-employer DC provider The People’s Pension, said the new PLSA standards offered members “a welcome rule of thumb starting point for complex retirement conversations”.More information about the standards can be found here. The UK’s Pensions and Lifetime Savings Association (PLSA) has published a set of descriptions of different standards of living in retirement, which it hopes will help people picture their future financially – and so engage with their pension. The pensions industry body, which launched the concept at its annual conference this morning, said it wants schemes representing 90% of active savers to adopt the new UK Retirement Living Standards by 2025.Nigel Peaple, director of policy and research at the PLSA, said: “The Retirement Living Standards will support better saver engagement.“They distil robust, in-depth research with the public into an easy to understand basket of goods that helps people picture the future – and relatable figures that can provide a powerful and practical tool for encouraging engagement with saving.”
The plan has almost no chance to pass in a chamber controlled by Democrats, reports say.This story is developing. A couple of years after they tried to repeal Obamacare, House Republicans are announcing a health care plan to replace it.However, the White House will continue to work on its own proposal as the plan released by the Republican Study Committee lacks the backing of the entire GOP conference.They said they hope it will help Republicans candidates in the upcoming election answer critics who claim Republicans have no plan.The plan would create a federally-funded, state-run insurance pools to cover people with high-cost conditions.It would also combine Obamacare funding with Medicare expansion into block grants to be awarded to states to help low-income Americans pay for health care.The play would protect pre-existing conditions and boost health savings accounts.Congressmen Roger Marshall of Kansas and Mike Johnson of Louisiana detailed the plan.